Coshocton
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Coshocton

Anything goes discussion forum about the great town of Coshocton, Oh

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

same sex marriage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
madcow

madcow

same sex marriage Empty
PostSubject: same sex marriage   same sex marriage EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 3:06 am

I thought this was worth a look, the argument that same sex marriage might lead to people marring animals might not be as for fetched as some may think.

Horse
In some parts of Celtic Ireland, kings (often called "sacred kings") had to wed the local goddess of the land. A druidess was usually chosen to represent the land goddess as the king's wife, but one king in Donegal married a horse, a representative of their local goddess.

May 1998 - The Jerry Springer Show had an episode titled "I married a horse". The show was ultimately not aired by many stations on the planned date, apparently due to concerns about the acceptability of broadcasting an episode in which a man admitted to a long term emotional and sexual relationship of this kind. The man and his horse later participated in a British documentary on the subject.

Dog
June 2003 - a nine year old Indian girl of the Santal (or 'Santhal') tribe of Khanyhan, near Calcutta was formally married to a dog, in order to ward off a bad omen. The wedding was attended by more than one hundred guests, who danced to the beating of drums and drank home-made liquor. The girl told Western press, "I have no regret in marrying the dog Bacchan. I am fond of the dog who moves around our locality," and tribal elders added she was free to remarry in future as an adult.

November 2007 - A man in southern India married a female dog in a traditional Hindu ceremony as an attempt to atone for stoning two other dogs to death — an act he believes cursed him. Selvakumar, 33, told the paper he had been suffering since he stoned two dogs to death and hung their bodies from a tree 15 years ago

Dolphin
December 2005 - forty one year old Sharon Tendler of Great Britain unofficially married Cindy, a male dolphin held at the Dolphin Reef dolphinarium in Eilat, Israel, in a ceremony where she offered fish and the dolphin 'kissed' her. She had been visiting Cindy regularly for the past fifteen years. Tendler requested permission from the dolphin's trainer for the "wedding". The marriage, painted romantically by the media, was in her words considered "a bit of fun" after her friends joked about her being single at that age.

Goat
February 2006 - a Sudanese man caught having sex with a neighbour's goat which was subsequently nicknamed Rose, was ordered by the council of elders to pay the neighbour a dowry of 5,000 Sudanese dinars ($50) and marry the animal. [4]

Snake
Main article: Bimbala Das
June 2006 - an Indian woman from Bhubaneswar, Orissa, allegedly "fell in love with a snake" and was married to it at a "traditional Hindu wedding celebrated by 2,000 guests". She claimed a bond of understanding existed between the two. The woman had previously been ill, and recovered upon offering milk to the snake, at which time she fell in love. She later "converted to the animal-loving vegetarian Vaishnav sect whose local elders gave her permission to marry the cobra."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-animal_marriage
Back to top Go down
attack-cat

attack-cat

same sex marriage Empty
PostSubject: Re: same sex marriage   same sex marriage EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 3:43 pm

People thirty years ago never imagined what we have here in the USA today. Don't underestimate the groups that want to have all heterosexuals looked at as hate mongers that are out to destroy their little fantasy lives. Most people I know don't give a rats ass what people do behind closed doors. Why does it need to be out in the public? To get a piece of paper? If they want to reconcile themselves to picking and choosing what they want to believe or reworking the Bible to fit their lifestyles ... so be it. But leave the rest of us out of it. Do what you want ... but leave everyone else alone. Sleep with a snake? Enjoy yourself... but don't expect me to bow and kiss your feet because you want to be different. And if enough people do it ... then you won't be so special and then will you give up your special standing? Give the special standing to the group that is now the minority? That would be heterosexuals in monogamous relationships. Rant off.
Back to top Go down
madcow

madcow

same sex marriage Empty
PostSubject: Re: same sex marriage   same sex marriage EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 4:09 am

Do we have to redefine everything in this country? Can't we keep just one law on the books? We already lost our bill of rights, with HR 6166. We have came so far away from what our founding fathers had in mind when they set the pace for this country.
Back to top Go down
attack-cat

attack-cat

same sex marriage Empty
PostSubject: Re: same sex marriage   same sex marriage EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:45 pm

We're headed downhill fast Madcow.
Back to top Go down
Cdubyah

Cdubyah

same sex marriage Empty
PostSubject: Re: same sex marriage   same sex marriage EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Well then lets crank back the clock about 300 years then...
We'll live without all of the modern conviences that we have today. Cars, refrigerators, cable (oh god no..), welfare, the internet and jobs that didn't include farming. Those would be glorious times.... I think it would humble most of today's society. All because we were too damn stubborn to change. Or open up our minds.
Plus all of the rights that have been fought for over the past three hundred years. Change is inevitable.
All they want is the freedom to express themselves without persecution. Just as women and blacks did. That doesn't seem to be working out to bad now does it? What gives heterosexuals the right to go out, and do their thing, but tell gays and lesbians that they can't? Or only behind closed doors? Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me. Open your mind to a different idea, and belief, before you beat them over the head with yours. How many gay people have tried to covert you to a homosexual?!?! I doubt any. So why do you try to convert them to a heterosexual?
Most gay couples just want the same rights as you. How hard is that to accept? You want ot be able to marry the person you love, just as they do. You want to collect insurance if your spouse dies, just as they do. However with the current law none of that is possible.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob_Rebel

Jimbob_Rebel

same sex marriage Empty
PostSubject: Nothing New Under the Sun................   same sex marriage EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Cdubyah wrote:
Well then lets crank back the clock about 300 years then...
We'll live without all of the modern conviences that we have today. Cars, refrigerators, cable (oh god no..), welfare, the internet and jobs that didn't include farming. Those would be glorious times.... I think it would humble most of today's society. All because we were too damn stubborn to change. Or open up our minds.
Plus all of the rights that have been fought for over the past three hundred years. Change is inevitable.

You're not talking about trying something new, it's an old,old, perversion. Perhaps you'd like to turn the clock back, not 300 years, but 5,000 years, to the dawn of history and civilization, to the time of Sodom and Gemorrah (vaporized by God for just the type of behavior you're urging as the latest,greatest, cutting edge thing.)but sensible people aren't interrested. Some of us are capable of learning from past mistakes committed prior to our own limited physical memory and then there are those who would like to re-learn everything the hard way. Oh, in the future, do try not to confuse liberty with liscense.

Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Back to top Go down
attack-cat

attack-cat

same sex marriage Empty
PostSubject: Re: same sex marriage   same sex marriage EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm

With life insurance you can decide who will get the money. I could write that I choose the Pope as the benifactor on my life insurance if I wanted.

Let's just get rid of all traditions because a handful of people want to be in the limelight. They love to have the public focused on them. The gay pride parades. The gay pride bumper stickers. When is the hetrosexual pride parade? How about a heterosexual pride bumpersticker? I don't think most people care what is happening behind closed doors. They don't need to shove their life choice down peoples throats. In certain large companies gay partners get more benefits than a heterosexual couple that has lived together for years. They get insurance and benefits. But heterosexual couples that just live together do not get anything. Why should they get better treatment than anyone else? And when heterosexual marriages are the oddity instead of the norm will those couples get special treatment? Let traditions stand. Aren't there enough things going on today that deserve the attention and the money that states are spending on the gay community? How much money did the recent court case in California pile up over this issue? The time of the court system, the attorney fees .... that money could have been spent elsewhere.

As for converting homosexuals ... I don't care about converting any of them. They are adults. They make thier own bed ... let them lie in it. They are the ones forcing their lifestyle into the limelight. I don't have a heterosexual emblem on my car but I have seen the rainbow pride flag on cars. Now who is promoting their lifestyle? I don't demand a parade or a day at Disneyland in honor of the lifestyle I have choosen. And yes Disneyland does have a gay pride day. I was out there when it was going on about 15 years ago. And in OKC there are Gay Pride bus stop benches. These are maintained by tax dollars. I have seen them. They are the ones bringing their lifestyle out and forcing people to look at it. And then they get their panties in a ruffle when someone says that they don't like it. They can even fly raindbow pride flags outside their house and it is protected as free speech. Try flying a Confedearate flag on your porch. You will be considered a racist hate monger by those stupid enough to believe the war was for the removal of slavery. They can be proud of what they want but I can't be proud of what I want? My relatives fought in the CSA and they didn't own slaves and didn't fight for slavery. They fought for states rights.
Back to top Go down

same sex marriage
Page 1 of 1