Coshocton
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Coshocton

Anything goes discussion forum about the great town of Coshocton, Oh

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead

Go down 
+2
madcow
Jimbob_Rebel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimbob_Rebel

Jimbob_Rebel

Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead Empty
PostSubject: Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead   Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 12:00 am

Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead santa

By The Associated Press wire report
August 20, 2008 02:26 PM

Households worried about the high cost of keeping warm this winter will draw little comfort from the Farmers' Almanac, which predicts below-average temperatures for most of the U.S.

"Numb's the word," says the 192-year-old publication, which claims an accuracy rate of 80 to 85 percent for its forecasts that are prepared two years in advance.

The almanac's 2009 edition, which goes on sale Tuesday, says at least two-thirds of the country can expect colder than average temperatures, with only the Far West and Southeast in line for near-normal readings.

"This is going to be catastrophic for millions of people," said almanac editor Peter Geiger, noting that the frigid forecast combined with high prices for heating fuel is sure to compound problems households will face in keeping warm.

The almanac predicts above-normal snowfall for the Great Lakes and Midwest, especially during January and February, and above-normal precipitation for the Southwest in December and for the Southeast in January and February. The Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions should be getting an unusually wet or snowy February, the almanac said.

The forecasts, which are spelled out in three- and four-day periods for each region, are prepared by the almanac's reclusive prognosticator Caleb Weatherbee, who uses a secret formula based on sunspots, the position of the planets and the tidal action of the moon.

Weatherbee's outlook is borne out by e-mail comments that the almanac has received in recent days from readers who have spotted signs of nature that point to a rough winter, Geiger said. The signs range from an abundance of acorns already on the ground to the frequency of fog in August.

The almanac's winter forecast is at odds with that of the National Weather Service, whose trends-based outlook calls for warmer than normal temperatures over much of the country, including Alaska, said Ed O'Lenic, chief of the operations branch at NOAA's Climate Prediction Center.

While he wouldn't comment specifically on the almanac's ability to forecast the weather two years from now, O'Lenic said it's generally impossible to come up with accurate forecasts more than a week in advance.

"Of course it's possible to prepare a forecast with any lead time you like. Whether or nor that forecast has any accuracy or usable skill is another question," he said.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/031815.html
Back to top Go down
madcow

madcow

PostSubject: Re: Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead   Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 1:51 am

Starting out cold. Snow before Thanksgiving, but I love snow and the cold.
Back to top Go down
steakman

PostSubject: Re: Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead   Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 3:18 pm

I love snow and cold, also---in Currier & Ives prints. A little snow over Thanksgiving and a little snow over Christmas would do me just fine.
Back to top Go down
attack-cat

attack-cat

PostSubject: Re: Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead   Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 10:19 am

Let's see ....... carrying water up the snowcovered slick hill to the goats, out to the dogs and over to the coop, frozen shut coop door, goats knocking the water bucket out of your hand to see who can get a drink first, wet and cold gloves from said goats knocking water all over the place ... yeah I just love winter No Those nice 70 degree days we had not too long ago ... now that was perfect! And to make today really annoying: I had the chicken waterer come apart this morning and dumped about two gallons of water alll over the coop floor. So I had to shovel wet wood chips and straw out of the coop so the hens wouldn't get their little feet wet and freeze. A bunch of shovels full of wet chips and chicken crap at 7 am is not a pleasant thing to deal with. Then go get more water for the chickens. At least the eggs are good. But winter can go away now. Here sun sunny come on out!!!! I'm going to go be a grump for a bit now.
Back to top Go down
easyrider

easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead   Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 3:03 pm

All in a day's work on the farm..I think I'll go fry up a couple of those eggs...mmmmmm
Back to top Go down
speedy911911911

speedy911911911

PostSubject: Re: Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead   Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 4:14 pm

It's been a chilly sixty some degrees here this week... brrrr..... I need a coat!
I just can't hardly take it! sunny

But it is supposed to be back up in low 70's by sunday. Whew!
I think I'll go for a Harley ride. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/speedy911911911
easyrider

easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead   Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Ride a few extra miles for me,speedy..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead   Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead Empty

Back to top Go down

Brrr! Farmers' Almanac says cold winter ahead
Page 1 of 1